Traveling With A Child After Divorce Or Separation

When a parent gets stung at the border and is refused passage while traveling with a child, it's often because of not having the right paperwork. Divorce and separation alters a parent's rights and responsibilities regarding the children. Some decisions - such as taking a trip - which a parent used to make freely and without forethought now require cutting through red tape. Notably, even parents with sole custody may first need to obtain consent when crossing international borders.

Prudent Travelers Bring Documentation

Countries vary in their documentation requirements. To prevent a hold up at the border - or a flat refusal of entry or exit - the first place to start is the separation agreement or court order. Check to see if these contain provisions touching on travel. There may be requirements to obtain consent or to provide the other parent with specifics such as flight information, accommodation details or emergency contact numbers.

Another standard document is a travel consent letter. This document serves as proof that one parent agrees for the child to travel in company with the other parent. A lawyer can draft the letter, which must then be signed by the consenting parent.

What About Moving House?

When it comes to moving abodes, a parent typically does not require consent so long as the move does not impact the other parent's access. In cases where it does, the parent on the move needs to obtain consent or a court order to change the terms of the other parent's access.

Navigating custody or access issues?

Call Us.

We can help.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

shameless self promotion

  • Ross Firm Golf Tourney In Support of Huron Women’s Shelter a Swinging Success

    On behalf of the Huron Women’s Shelter and The Ross Firm P.C., we say “THANK YOU” to our many Sponsors and Donators for their outpouring of generosity and support for the annual Take a Swing Against Violence Golf Tournament held at Goderich Sunset Golf Club.

    Read More

  • Who needs a Will? You do!

    Our guests can explain why. Are you single and renting? A new Family? Or Homeowner? Enjoying your Golden Years? We all need a Will and our guest speakers will show you the why and the way.

    Read More

  • Take a Swing Against Violence

    On June 21, 2017, the Huron Women’s Shelter Second Stage Housing and Counselling Services, Board of Directors and The Ross Firm will be hosting the Taking a Swing Against Violence golf tournament at the Goderich Sunset Golf Course.

    Read More

  • Rocco & Vinnie do Advertising

    For your viewing pleasure our latest installment of Rocco & Vinnie Law Videos. This one plumbs the depths of the recent review of the Advertising Rules. Part cautionary tale, part musical, all Rocco & Vinnie.

    Read More

View All

Send Us An Email. Talk To Us. We Can Help.

To schedule a consultation with one of our experienced lawyers, contact The Ross Firm online or give us a call toll free at 888-567-4917.

Contact Us

Goderich Office
144 Courthouse Square
Suite 100
Goderich, ON N7A 1M9

Toll Free: 888-567-4917
Fax: 519-524-8438
Map & Directions

Stratford Office
1 Ontario Street
2nd Floor
Stratford, ON N5A 3G7

Toll Free: 888-567-4917
Fax: 519-814-5533
Map & Directions

Kincardine Office
943 Queen Street
Kincardine, ON N2Z 2Y8

Phone: 226-396-5532
Fax: 226-396-5533
Map & Directions