Funny, You Don't Look Oppressed: What Rights Do You Have As A Shareholder?

Edmundo and Valerie Duarte appeared to have it all...cooking skills, equipment and a lucrative exclusive contract to provide kosher food services to the Beth Emeth Bais Yehuda Synagogue.

Well, maybe not all.

The Duarte's were not Jewish and in order to supply food to the Synagogue they needed a Jewish person to provide religious supervision over the preparation of the food.

Enter Ofer Penner, and guess his religion. (If you guessed Episcopalian, say three Hail Mary's and refuse Manischewitz wine at dinner- Ofer Penner was very much Jewish.)

The Duarte's and the Jewish Mr. Penner formed a company in which Ofer Penner got 25% of the shares of the food catering company (Uptown Gourmet Catering Ltd.) and the Duarte's held the remaining 75%. The officers and directors of the company were the Duarte's. Ofer Penner was neither a director nor an officer, and there was no shareholders agreement.

Business arrangements and marriages have a few things in common... often they start off well but may end badly. This was one of those endings.

Not two years later, after they started working together, Edmundo Duarte terminated Ofer Penner's employment for cause, on the basis that Ofer was counterproductive, disruptive, abrasive and confrontational and refused to take direction or to work regular hours. For his part, Ofer disagreed that there was cause to fire him.

To add insult to injury, although he was a 25% shareholder in the company, Ofer was also excluded from running the business.

So there you have it. Ofer Penner has 25% of the business, but no job and since he was neither an officer nor a director of the company, no power to do anything about it! In Yiddish, the word "bupkis" means, "goat droppings" or "nothing". Did Ofer Penner end up with bupkis?

The Ontario Business Corporations Act provides for a situation just like this one; it is the oppression remedy of that Act and is included to help out minority shareholders who have little or no power in a corporation.

The Judge who heard the case in 2011 found that Ofer Penner had indeed been an oppressed shareholder. The Judge valued the company at $459,000.00. That is a lot of kreplach (yiddish word for dumplings), and awarded Ofer Penner $115,000.00 for his interest in the business.

Lessons to be learned?

1) Good business law lawyers can find solutions to company problems that end up in court.

2) A good shareholders agreement can avoid a lot of court time and money.

Give us a call.

Talk to us.

We can help.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

shameless self promotion

  • Quinn Ross Takes Office As President Of The Ontario Bar Association

    The Ontario Bar Association (OBA) is pleased to announce Quinn Ross as the 83rd President of the OBA.

    Ross, Managing Partner of The Ross Firm, with offices in Goderich, Kincardine and Stratford, has been an active member in senior roles on the OBA board since 2012.

    Read More

  • Ross Firm Golf Tourney In Support of Huron Women’s Shelter a Swinging Success

    On behalf of the Huron Women’s Shelter and The Ross Firm P.C., we say “THANK YOU” to our many Sponsors and Donators for their outpouring of generosity and support for the annual Take a Swing Against Violence Golf Tournament held at Goderich Sunset Golf Club.

    Read More

  • Who needs a Will? You do!

    Our guests can explain why. Are you single and renting? A new Family? Or Homeowner? Enjoying your Golden Years? We all need a Will and our guest speakers will show you the why and the way.

    Read More

  • Take a Swing Against Violence

    On June 21, 2017, the Huron Women’s Shelter Second Stage Housing and Counselling Services, Board of Directors and The Ross Firm will be hosting the Taking a Swing Against Violence golf tournament at the Goderich Sunset Golf Course.

    Read More

View All

Send Us An Email. Talk To Us. We Can Help.

To schedule a consultation with one of our experienced lawyers, contact The Ross Firm online or give us a call toll free at 888-567-4917.

Contact Us

Goderich Office
144 Courthouse Square
Suite 100
Goderich, ON N7A 1M9

Toll Free: 888-567-4917
Fax: 519-524-8438
Map & Directions

Stratford Office
1 Ontario Street
2nd Floor
Stratford, ON N5A 3G7

Toll Free: 888-567-4917
Fax: 519-814-5533
Map & Directions

Kincardine Office
943 Queen Street
Kincardine, ON N2Z 2Y8

Phone: 226-396-5532
Fax: 226-396-5533
Map & Directions